Without a second guess, a daily horoscope feature is welcome in any publication. For years, many have looked to astrology for personal (love) or professional (new job) advice and the fashion community has cashed in on this cultural fascination to create both high-end and mass-market, products that depict star signs.
Beginnings of the trend in fashion and culture:
- Jewelry with motifs and meanings of ancient mythology have come alive through wings, animals and reptiles that hark back to medieval Gothic and Greco-Roman times: serpents, shields, dragons and astrological symbols.
- The release of Planetary Apothecary: An Astrological Approach to Health and Wellness by Stephanie Gailing in March 2009 marked a shifting point in culture. The book was featured on DailyCandy and bridged a New Age art with nutrition.
- Window decals with astrological signs were featured at the Missoni store in SoHo (NYC) in September 2010.
- Following F/W 2010's melting glacier, Karl Lagerfeld created a five-story gold lion to guard the Chanel runway, a reference to Mademoiselle Chanel’s astrological sign, Leo.
- Astrological printed motifs on the F/W 2010 Ruffian catwalk.
Moving into fall, we see this trend will evolving with astrological-inspired graphics and an array of charm bracelets for gift giving with half moons, shooting stars and ringed planets for the dreamy youth stargazer.